Several foods that we found in our fridges and pantries should never be given to our dogs. On the other hand, many familiar foods can be offered to them. What are they? That’s what we’re going to see today.
This blog will mainly focus on dogs, as they are most likely to eat all sorts of things, not to say anything! But when that is indicated, we will make a note regarding the food that should not be given to our cats, rabbits and birds.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
Beware, it is not because we recommend a fruit or a vegetable, that one must exaggerate in the quantity to give. We are talking here about small pieces, mainly given as treats.
In some cases, we can give a little more, we will see.
Moreover, not all dogs are equal. Some will not tolerate certain fruits or vegetables, as they will cause vomiting. If this is the case, please abstain from giving those to your pet.
So if we do not cause an imbalance in the diet of our dogs, the amount of vegetables and fruits should be less than 10% of its total diet. Moreover, at this amount, the risks of causing urinary problems in certain dogs predisposed to make stones in the bladder are almost nonexistent.
However, there may be restrictions if your dog is suffering from certain diseases, so talk to your veterinarian.
Popular fruits and vegetables that do not present problems:
OK. Apples are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber. They are low in protein and fat, making it a good treat for older dogs. Do not give the core because of the risk of suffocation.
Ok. But in very small quantities, because they are quite caloric.
Pieces of dried bananas can be given as treats for rabbits.
OK for birds, but in very small quantity.
Ok. Very popular during summertime , small pieces can be given, but the bark and seeds must be removed.
OK for the birds.
SMALL FRUITS (Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
Ok. In moderation for raspberries and strawberries because of the sugar. It is essential to wash the berries well before offering them.
Dehydrated strawberries can be offered sparingly to rabbits as a treat.
ORANGES AND CLEMENTINES
Ok. Without the skin and seeds.
Citrus fruits are excellent fruits to offer your birds
Ok. Without the skin.
This is the best fruit to offer to your birds and guinea pigs (because of high content in Vitamin C).
Ok. But in small quantities, as they may cause vomiting due to the isothiocyanates they contain, which may cause gastric irritation.
CUCUMBER AND CELERY
Ok. Very low in calories.
Ok. With moderation because of their sugar content.
Ok. IF only the fruit is offered and not the stem that contains solanine, which can be toxic when ingested in large quantities.
OK. In limited quantities. Some dogs prefer them al dente!
Popular fruits and vegetables that should be avoided:
GRAPES (and red currants)
NO! Grapes can cause acute kidney failure.
All types of products containing grapes or raisins (including grape juice, mixtures of nuts and dry fruits, bagels, etc.) can cause kidney failure. Even organic, pesticide-free, grapes grown in domestic gardens can cause toxicity. Although the mechanism of action is not clearly understood, these fruits may lead to anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea and potentially severe acute renal failure (which develops several days later). Toxicity is not necessarily dose dependent, and symptoms may occur even with small ingestions.
No. Even if the fruit itself is not toxic, the leaves, stems and pits are. They contain cyanide. However, the quantities are not high and the cores must be ground to release the toxic precursors.
Then, as a precaution, it is better to avoid them.
No. The pit, skin and avocado leaves contain persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. The fruit itself, does not have as much persin as the rest of the plant, but it is still has too much for dogs.
Very toxic to birds and rabbits. So avoid at all cost.
No. because very small amounts can cause vomiting in some dogs and we do not know why …
No. Avoid wild mushrooms, there are too many that are toxic. Unless you are an experienced mycologist, be sure to stay clear of them. As for mushrooms sold commercially, white mushrooms would be OK and according to several mycologists, are the only ones that can be eaten raw in a safe way.
Precautionary principle: do not give mushrooms.
No. not because they are toxic. Raw, they are too woody and difficult to chew and cooked, they are soft and have little food interest. This is not the best vegetable.
ONION, GARLIC, LEEK AND CHIVE
No. They may cause gastrointestinal irritation and may lead to red blood cell lesions: anemia.
Although cats are more sensitive, dogs are also at risk if a large amount is consumed. A small occasional dose, such as what can be found in pet foods or treats, will probably not be a problem, but as a precaution, we should not give them to our pets.
No. Macadam nuts are commonly used in many cookies and sweets. However, they can cause problems for your dog. These nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and fever in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and last about 12 to 48 hours.
Pet Poison Helpline Poison Control Center
If you ever have any questions, do not hesitate to contact a member of the medical team of the Clinic (514-634-4190) who will be happy to assist you.